Wednesday, November 5, 2008

the roar of the crowd

last night, my dad and i were at the canucks game (courtesy of good friends in high places...chuckle). about halfway through the second period, it was announced that Barack Obama was the president elect of the US. and everyone cheered. a crowd of 18,000+ drunk canadians roared in approval. loudly.

i was surprised. honestly.

are the canucks that bad that Obama could inspire such a cheer...on a night that they won 4-0? :)

what else was was happening last night? what did it say about our culture...that a foreign election could inspire canadian sportsfans?

and what does it say about me when i didn't cheer?

not sure what to think.

sw

I have wondered that...what else is going on. Canada is a unique place in terms of social reality. Our Mosaic demands openness and liberality. And yet we have little tolerance for that which smacks of narrowmindedness or fundamentalism.

We have a very unique way of processing life north of the 49th parallel. It's one where we live out egalitarian ideals, the equality of people with respect to social, political or economic rights and privileges. We believe that anyone who sticks their head to far about the crowd should be decapitated...thus our mistrust of leaders, corporations, and large organizations. Its why we love potential leaders and have little use for them when they become THE leader.

I read recently B.W. Powe's take on the Canadian/US relationship. His take was that Canada is like Athens, cerebral and contemplative, during the time of Sparta(a vibrant military society).

Could it be that we respond to the recent events in the US because we see a leader who most reflects who we are and who we are becoming? Could we be responding to our love of the underdog? Could we be responding to our fear of what we have been almost forced into accepting simply because of relationship?

Or could we simply be living out what we do best: critical analysis, critique and enjoyment of proceedings that require very little of our active involvement or commitment.

I sat in meetings recently...and felt the underbelly of the entire room rumbling...even seething at times...yet very few voiced anything. It seems we are great at being vocal about things that have little personal cost or risk. How does that play out in our country? In our relationships?

I have been asked lots, who would you have voted for. I avoided the question like crazy...what does that say about me?

not sure if any of this makes sense...am thinking i would rather be watching a flames game.

jonathan

3 comments:

Ashley said...

I have also been extremely intrigued by the fame of President elect Barack Obama.

Why is it that so many people follow him, almost like he is a deity?

In some ways I think it's because we are desperate for so much more. We know there is something going terribly wrong here and we need an out. Barack seems to be that out for so many people, almost without caution they have latched onto his ideals and ran with it.

I followed the US Election closely, to my surprise. I was so intrigued by this election because I know that 10, 20, 50, 100 years down the line our children, grand children, great grandchildren will be learning this. They will be taught about Barack Obama like we were taught about Martin Luther King Jr. , They will be taught the speech, "Yes We Can" like we were taught the speech, "I Have a Dream"

What I am more intrigued about is why I am so inclined to follow this man. Why is his rhetoric touching the very deepest parts of me? Why do I relate with what he is saying?

I think it's because in fact he is bringing a message of hope. He seems humble in his approach, acknowledging that he is not perfect and it's going to take an entire nation to bring change. I need hope now more than ever in my life and so I relate to him.

But I am still cautious, I think this could be a very dangerous situation. Not only for the US but for the world (because whether we want to admit it or not, the US is a HUGE super power who can control a lot of things). A man with such power already, who will have more power in 2 months.... the amount of power he has just blows my mind. How does a mere man deal with it? We can only hope and pray that God can use him in mighty ways. I think that that is a very large possibility.

Some people say he will be the anti-christ, yet I choose to be more optimistic and see him as someone who has huge potential to join the rest of the church in bringing the Kingdom of God to earth. By loving, caring, and shepherding, and so much more.

Alright, so I actually intended to blog this today on my blog not as a comment, but it just kept coming. I'm enjoying your site and am excited for future conversations.

Anonymous said...

The people wanted Saul as a King. God gave them the desires of their heart...while raising up Daniel. How many years did the Israelites wander...

It will be interesting to see if this was our desire or God's...I guess the history book will tell the story, ironically it's not that easy to see it all when you are going through it.

Anonymous said...

Off to the side lines of this election, unnoticed by others but observant of them is where I stand. I hear a lot of comments being made,

"Obama is black, but honestly, is he really that black? It's not that big of a deal."

"Saints be praised, a black president has come to America, break out the 200 year old communion wine and a fresh loaf of mana! God is finally back in town!"

There are these two conflicting view points about the outcome of the U.S. election and I think they make an interesting statement about humanity. If we observe change, we have a pair of responses that we cling to like an oak table after the Titanic sank:
Apathy
or
Elation
Here is my point.
What has happened to anticipation?
What has happened to hope?
What has happened to honesty?
It is ok to be unsure.
It is ok to be hesitant.
It is ok to have a stir in your heart.
It is ok to embrace the possibility.
History will judge the result,
but will you live the experience?
In all of its uncertainty and all of its potential. In the victories and the defeats.
Joy, Pain, Satisfaction, Regret,
Love; and Disdain.
Should we not come in from the fringe and experience life in it's totality?